The village of Ash Creek, the first station south of Luverne on the Doon extension of the Omaha railroad, is one of two towns in Clinton township. Though it has never assumed proportions that would warrant its being set off as an independent municipality, Ash Creek for many years has justified its existence as a trading point and grain market for the rich farming community. The building of the Doon branch were conditions undreamed of when Ash Creek was first placed on the map as a country post office, the second post office in the county. By 1871 Clinton and Martin township's population exceeded that of all the rest of the county. The photo below shows one of the original schools located outside the Ash Creek area.