Kanaranzi was named after the township in which it is located. The business town consisted of a store, elevators and shops that derive their support from the agricultural country adjoining. The building of the Burlington railroad into Rock County in 1884 brought with it the possibility of new towns and among the places to materialize was the station in Karnaranzi township. In August of 1885 the township site was connected with the railroad. The survey by LeRoy Grant platted the nine blocks of the town. The dedication occurred September 28, 1885. The land on which the town was located was originally the property of Charles Thompson. The Kanaranzi school is shown below. It was more than the typical one room school.