A city in sections 1 and 2 of Vienna and platted on July 30, 1900, Kenneth was named after the son of Jay. A. Kennicott, owner of a "section farm half a mile south of the new town." The city was developed when the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad came through in 1899. The post office began in 1900, with James L. Hogan as head postmaster. Kenneth was incorporated as a village on July 20, 1921.